The South Lake Union neighborhood is turning out to be one of the largest urban revitalization projects in the nation, costing over $3 Billion and set to bring more than 24,000 new jobs and 10,000 new residents by 2020.
Just north of Downtown Seattle, South Lake Union has added a beautiful 12-acre park, street car, several restaurants, grocery stores, art galleries, hotels, and numerous residential developments to rent or own in the area.
The energy of an urban environment. The beauty of a lakefront setting. The opportunity of a lifetime. That’s South Lake Union.
One of Vulcan’s largest and most active projects is the redevelopment of more than 60 acres in the South Lake Union neighborhood, which is adjacent to downtown Seattle.
As Seattle’s downtown lakefront neighborhood, South Lake Union offers 24-hour opportunities to enjoy the best of the Northwest lifestyle. The neighborhood blends modern culture with historic sensibilities; where leading edge organizations co-exist with urban lofts and penthouses to create an authentic vibrant community that offers something for everyone:
- High performance workplaces;
- Lofts, townhomes and penthouses for rent and for sale;
- Eclectic restaurants, hotels, galleries and boutiques;
- Whole Foods Market
- Waterfront boardwalks and pedestrian-friendly streets;
- A 12-acre lakefront park and vibrant public open space;
- An electric streetcar that circulates throughout the neighborhood and connects to rapid transit;
- Access to kayaking, sailing, hiking, and biking trails; and
- Schools, museums, arts and entertainment.
In addition to becoming one of Seattle’s most desirable neighborhoods to live in, South Lake Union has become home to many of the region’s top creative class and headquarter companies including NBBJ, Tommy Bahama, Cole & Weber/Red Cell, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle Biomedical Research (SBRI), UW Medicine, and REI.
South Lake Union is also the current and future home of organizations on the forefront of vital life sciences research. These organizations are committed to curing diseases and finding solutions to prolong life across our global community.
This is why South Lake Union is also being called “Discovery Center“.